Stevens Illustration

Stevens Illustration
Blackboard Picture

Sunday, July 20, 2008

English 123 Blog 8

This weekend I was finally able to go home and spend time with my family. I am lucky because I only have to drive 2 hours and then I am home unlike many people I know whose families live in other states. My parents have always been my best friends and some of the few people in my life that I can completely trust. I became aware of how special my parents were to me when I was in my senior year of high school. Being a girl in high school is filled with backstabbing and gossip not to mention people being two-faced ( no they do not have 2 faces :) ) and acting nice to your face and spreading mean things about you behind your back. Dealing with all of that fun in high school really made me appreciate how much I could trust my parents with so many important things. They have always supported me in whatever decision I make whether at the time they agree with it or not, and I can never thank them enough.

Having always been a "Daddy's girl" I decided to write my sonnet to my mother, Joy. I have not always had the best relationship with her when I was growing up; we had the typical mother and teenage daughter relationship. When I was younger I was embarrassed to be around my parents and as I entered high school my mother and I constantly butted heads about clothing, dating, and curfew. I would fight with her on a weekly basis. When I look back on that I think about how much time I lost with her that I will never get back. When I was analyzing my Wallace Stevens poem Waving Adieu, Adieu, Adieu I realized that life is not guaranteed and the time we have is all the time we have, so make the best of it and live with no secrets or regrets. My mother and I's relationship has changed for the better since the beginning of my junior year of high school when I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease and I then finally realized how amazing of a person she truly is. I stopped thinking about how "uncool" it was to hang out with your mother and we started going to weekly coffee and movies. Ever since, my mother and I have been able to talk about anything and everything and both her and my father have helped me through some of the roughest times in my life and I will never be able to thank them enough. This weekend my mother and I went to the movie "Mama Mia" because we both love musicals and it was one of the best times I have had in a long time. I gave her the sonnet that I wrote for her and she read it and cried and of course that made me cry. So we just looked like to crying fools in the car in the movie parking lot. But that moment was so special to me and to her that I know we will both never forget it. And the ability to have even one moment that is that special is all I need in life.

Sonnet to my Mother:

To my mother, so gentle and lovely

I have looked to you all of my young life

Your eyes were the first so warm and bubbly

Your arms kept me safe from a world of strife.

As I grow up, my feelings for you varied

I became a teen, so young and a fool

And pushed you away, because I was wary

I did not know, that you mom, were so cool.

As I look back on the lost couple years,

Regret pushing away, stead getting close

Now a young adult, I look back with tears

You are my rock, the person I need the most

Mother, your name reflects the real true you,

I love you and the joy you offer too.

No comments: