Stevens Illustration

Stevens Illustration
Blackboard Picture

Monday, July 7, 2008

English 123: Blog 3

"Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts."
- Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
Pain is part of the everlasting journey that every human being goes on throughout their life; the best part of life is not the end result but instead the trials along the way that help an individual to grow and become strong. My very first memory of pain happened when my father's mother passed away when I was 5 years old. She was my best friend and we would invent games such as eagle and snake where I would hide under the couch from the "eagle". When I was told she had passed away in the nursing home I did not know how to react. For some reason I did not cry, but the pain I felt in my heart I have never forgotten. The moment I did cry was when I first saw my dad cry. I knew what pain was and what pain could cause at that moment.

When we were talking in class today about every human being is telling and living their own story. I believe it is somewhat chosen, but I think that people can change their stories and journey's based entirely on effort and determination. "
In a word, I was too cowardly to do what I knew to be right, as I had been too cowardly to avoid doing what I knew to be wrong."
(Charles Dickens, Great Expectations). If someone is determined to make a change in his or her life then I fully believe that change will happen.

Coincidences are one of the best parts of life. I love when something seemingly random happens and turns out to be linked to some aspect of your life. Coincidences make the story and journey of your life exciting and keep you alive for one more night; when death happens the story is over, so every story should be as entertaining and insightful as possible.

No comments: